[nagdu] Need help

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 02:51:56 UTC 2014

Hi Melissa,
Vivianna is spot on. Keep the dog on leash at all times until the two
of you have each other figured out. My program advised my class to
keep our dogs on leash for the 1st 2 to 4 weeks. This enables you to
keep an eye on your dog at all times, keeps them from getting into
trouble, shows them what you expect of them throughout the house, and
strengthens the trust and bond between you guys.
Also, keep an eye on your dog to see if he displays signs that he
needs to go out. My program told us that if our dog isn't settling
after a few minutes, chances are the dog needs to go out. Every dog
isn't the same though, but I'm sure your dog has his way of telling.
Maybe he groans or barks when he needs to go out, and you brush it off
as him being sassy. Maybe he noses your arm a lot or gets in your
face, and you think it's him just being needy or silly. My dog paces
back and forth constantly if he needs to go outside, and sometimes
groans. Just know that most dogs have their ways of telling you what
they need, and you have to listen. It will take time for you both to
understand each others signals.
Provide ample opportunity for your dog to relief himself, preferably 4
to 6 times per day. And stick to a relief schedule. Many adult dogs
like my golden guy can hold it for long periods of time and do not
need to adhere to a relief schedule, while others, especially young
adolescent dogs, absolutely need to go out every four or five hours to
prevent accidents. If you catch your dog going indoors, do not scold
him at all, just take him outside. Scolding solves nothing and teaches
nothing, it only teaches your dog not to do the undesired behavior in
front of you, it doesn't communicate not to do it in the house. If you
catch him, just take him outside.
I also agree with Vivianna's suggestion to get into the car first. My
program taught us to get into the vehicle first, then call the dog in.
I understand this is not always what will happen, such as when the dog
gets in the back and you get in the front, but this is very important.
Your dog is unsure of himself. He's around a lot of new people and
places, and he has been passed from person to person. You are a
familiar thing in this unfamiliar environment, and he looks to you to
know what is okay and what is not. He looks to you for reassurance and
normalcy.
Do not be forceful with him. Picking him up and putting him in the car
could only make things worse. It will only make him more reluctant and
stubborn. Make getting into the car a positive experience. Use treats,
gentle coaxing, and positive reinforcement of good behavior.

On 4/26/14, Aleeha Dudley <blindcowgirl1993 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Melissa,
> I am sorry to hear that things haven't been going so well with your guide.
> The first thing I want to say is that all these things can iron out in time.
> It can be difficult for a new dog to adjust to life with a new handler. A
> lot of what you describe sounds like stress related issues that, while they
> need addressed, are certainly not disastrous, partnership risking issues.
> First, where is your dog from? This can help us know a little about how your
> dog was trained. Second, I would advise you strongly to keep your dog on
> leash at your mom's until it's behavior improves and you can trust it to be
> well mannered. If you catch your dog relieving himself inside, you can then
> quickly address it by scolding the dog and possibly giving a leash
> correction. Your dog needs to understand that you are boss now, no matter
> where you are.
> As far as the car goes, your dog is likely associating the car with some
> sort of negative experience. You can try rewarding your dog with food when
> he is close to or in the car, to make it a more positive situation.
> I hope this helped. Good luck!
> Aleeha and sleepy Dallas
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Apr 26, 2014, at 8:45 PM, Melissa Treaster <tomelissa30 at hotmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>> I was just placed with my guide dog in the last two weeks. I had him pee
>> in my moms house three times. I have taken him out so not sure why he did
>> that. He does not do that at my house. We were staying with her a few
>> days. The new thing is he unwillingness to getting in the car. I tried
>> telling him up and patting the seat but he would not get in. I tonight
>> after dinner out and he would not get in. So I took him to the grass and
>> let he pee. I thought ok that was the problem but nope still a no go. I
>> ended up picking him up and putting him in the car. Not a happy person
>> right now. I have called the school but thought I would ask you guys. The
>> only thing I can think of is that the other day when I put him in the car
>> wined. I don't think I got his tail but maybe I did and that's the
>> problem. Any help would be great.
>> Thanks,
>> Melissa
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone