[nagdu] barking in harness?

Nicole Torcolini ntorcolini at wavecable.com
Fri Aug 1 03:54:52 UTC 2014

Daryl,

	This makes perfect sense. From what I have heard, there are very few
animals that realize that their reflection is just a reflection; I think
that elephants are one of them. Lexia has never barked at her reflection,
but the rather neurotic  Border Collie mix that was the family pet for
several years, who I have mentioned a few times, used to do this all the
time. She would bark at her reflection in the mirror or in the sky lights.

Vivianna,

	I truly hope that you do not treat your dog the way that you make it
sound. Yes, sometimes, dogs just do things that they should do, and, yes,
there are sometimes cases where there is no rational reason, such as
possibly jumping out of the car ahead of the handler. However, dogs do not
just bark to bark. They bark because they are excited or they are scared or
they are angry or what have you. No, it is not always possible to tell why
the dog is barking. If it seems really random, then, yes, a correction, but
then a reward. Do you reward your dog after the bad behavior stops? I am not
completely against using corrections, but I use them sparingly and follow
with praise when I get the result that I want. If you reread the email that
Daryl wrote, it is clear that the barking occurred in one place, so it was
clear that something in that area was causing the barking, and it was
possible to figure out what. Stopping a behavior without finding out what is
causing the behavior is a bad idea. It might be necessary at first, but it
needs to be addressed later. Forcing a dog to suppress emotions without
knowing what is causing them is bad. Suppose that your dog is afraid of
something and starts barking. You manage to get the dog to stop barking
using corrections, but you do not help the dog overcome the fear. So,
whenever you approach whatever it is, the dog is now double afraid. The dog
is afraid and wants to bark, but will not bark because the dog is afraid of
being corrected. It may seem as though the dog is okay, but, some day, it
might get to be too much for the dog, and you do not know what will happen.

Nicole and Lexia who does not bark and does not get corrected if the reason
is unknown