[nagdu] barking in harness?

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 04:08:42 UTC 2014

Vivianna,
The problem with correction-based training/handling is that it focuses
solely on the handler's emotions and expectations. Also, this method
focuses on fixing behaviors by addressing specific actions external of
their causes or triggers. Force-free training acknowledges and
utilizes both the dog and handler's emotions and expectations, and it
also addresses problems at their roots. Correcting for a behavior
shows a gross lack of consideration about a dog's nature. No dog does
a thing just because it's fossible or because they feel like being
testy or spiteful. They have a reason, and it is up to us to figure
out what it is and provide them with guidance to teach them self
control and coping skills for certain situations.
Also, if anyone wants a dog who doesn't bark, I think that person
doesn't want a dog. I once was chatting with a woman at the shelter
who was considering adopting a dog. I asked her if she had any
preferences. She said: "Yes, could you match me with a dog that
doesn't bark?" Confused, I asked what she meant. She said she didn't
want her dog to bark at all because she thought barking of any kind
was inappropriate. After some probing, I found out this woman never
had a dog before, and that she disliked several doggy-specific
behaviors. I gently steered her toward the cats and rabbits.
I'm not saying barking isn't inappropriate in-harness, but really,
it's a dog! They have instinctive ways of reacting to things, and
expecting them not to follow any of their instincts is disrespecting
their nature. Constant and persistent barking in-harness is highly
problematic. But once in a while, it happens and we redirect them, and
hopefully figure out why they reacted that way so we can properly
teach our dogs to react differently.

On 7/31/14, Tami Jarvis via nagdu <nagdu at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> Buddy,
>
> I totally agree. Yes, barking in harness is a no-no. But barking can be
> stimulated by different triggers and different emotions in the dog. If
> the trigger causes the dog to feel excited/anxious/afraid, then adding a
> hard correction can add more excitement/anxiety/fear, which the dog is
> likely to associate with the trigger upon which it is focused at the
> time. So correcting is not solving the problem and can make it worse. A
> calmer approach to redirect the dog to get its attention and get it
> doing something besides barking at the trigger will get you farther
> faster. Also, as you mentioned, if you know what the trigger is and have
> some idea why the dog is barking at it, you can set up those training
> opportunities somewhere not in public to work on it.
>
> Tami
>
> On 07/31/2014 02:28 PM, Buddy Brannan via nagdu wrote:
>> While you've got some good points here, I think it really is important to
>> know why something's happening. Certainly if you know why something's
>> happening, you can use that to some advantage. Sure, you want to stop an
>> undesirable behavior. But would it not be easier to stop the behavior if
>> you understand its source? If for no other reason than setting things up
>> such that training opportunities can be had?

Raven
"if God didn't make it, don't eat it." - John B. Symes, D.V.M.
http://dogtorj.com