[nagdu] Improving House behaviors

Nicole Torcolini ntorcolini at wavecable.com
Sat Aug 2 05:36:26 UTC 2014

Okay... I am sure that others will have more to say, but here goes.
	As various people have said on the list, you need to be proactive
instead of retroactive. First, if you do not have a way of showing him where
he should be, I would recommend getting a towel/blanket or a dog bed. Train
him to go to that area on command (e.g., call it blanket). Reward him for
going there and staying there. Give him lots of rewards and praise for going
to his blanket. Whenever he gets up off of it without permission, send him
back to it and reward. Okay, now you have somewhere to put and send him, so
onto the next step. Tell him to go to his blanket and stay. Phrase and
treat. Get some human food and walk slowly toward the couch, telling him to
stay the whole time. If you hear him get up, put the food back and send him
back to his blanket. Eventually, he will learn that being on his blanket is
more rewarding than trying to eat your food.

As for taking things, I would recommend not using the word no. No does not
have any meaning to a dog. No. No what? As much as possible, try to keep
things out of his reach. Does he know drop it or leave it? When he picks up
something that is not his, tell him to drop it, and then tell him to go back
to his blanket, rewarding him for doing it and possibly giving him one of
his toys. You could also try just outright distracting him with one of his
toys without even telling him to drop the object that he stole. Also, make
sure that his dog toys are not stuffed animals or fabric like. Will he pick
up stuffed animals and clothes if you are monitoring him? If so, you could
do a training session. Does he chew on the items that he takes? Does he have
plenty of toys of his own? Do you think that there is a reason that he finds
your things enticing?

I know that others will have more ideas, but these are my thoughts for now.

Nicole and Lexia who does not kidnap stuffed animals