[nagdu] Improving House behaviors

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 2 07:36:23 UTC 2014

Nicole,
Bravo! That is fantastic advice! Thank you for hammering home the
importance of the proactive approach. I wish more of the people I work
with got it like you do.

Julie,
Addressing problems proactively focuses on what you want the dog to
do, while addressing it retroactively focuses on the bad behavior. So
of course, your dog's behavior won't get any better until you deal
with things differently. Work on it before it happens!
as Nicole said, don't use the word "no!" Get that word out of your
vocabulary right away for the very reason she stated. It means
nothing. It provides no direction or alternate behavior.
Also, please just do everything she suggested.
teach yourself to address all problems this way. The sooner you start
thinking about how you can get your dog to do what you want, rather
than focusing on how you can stop him from acting naughty, you will
find that establishing boundaries and expectations is less of a
hassle. Show him what you want, and give him something he wants for
being compliant. Anytime he acts up, just stay focused on what you
have taught him is appropriate. You'll likely go through an extinction
burst as has been mentioned, but trust me, he'll get it.

On 8/2/14, Nicole Torcolini via nagdu <nagdu at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> Okay... I am sure that others will have more to say, but here goes.
> 	As various people have said on the list, you need to be proactive
> instead of retroactive. First, if you do not have a way of showing him
> where
> he should be, I would recommend getting a towel/blanket or a dog bed. Train
> him to go to that area on command (e.g., call it blanket). Reward him for
> going there and staying there. Give him lots of rewards and praise for
> going
> to his blanket. Whenever he gets up off of it without permission, send him
> back to it and reward. Okay, now you have somewhere to put and send him, so
> onto the next step. Tell him to go to his blanket and stay. Phrase and
> treat. Get some human food and walk slowly toward the couch, telling him to
> stay the whole time. If you hear him get up, put the food back and send him
> back to his blanket. Eventually, he will learn that being on his blanket is
> more rewarding than trying to eat your food.
>
> As for taking things, I would recommend not using the word no. No does not
> have any meaning to a dog. No. No what? As much as possible, try to keep
> things out of his reach. Does he know drop it or leave it? When he picks up
> something that is not his, tell him to drop it, and then tell him to go
> back
> to his blanket, rewarding him for doing it and possibly giving him one of
> his toys. You could also try just outright distracting him with one of his
> toys without even telling him to drop the object that he stole. Also, make
> sure that his dog toys are not stuffed animals or fabric like. Will he pick
> up stuffed animals and clothes if you are monitoring him? If so, you could
> do a training session. Does he chew on the items that he takes? Does he
> have
> plenty of toys of his own? Do you think that there is a reason that he
> finds
> your things enticing?
>
> I know that others will have more ideas, but these are my thoughts for now.
>
> Nicole and Lexia who does not kidnap stuffed animals

Raven
"if God didn't make it, don't eat it." - John B. Symes, D.V.M.
http://dogtorj.com