[nagdu] Poodles

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 16:35:34 UTC 2014

Personally, I won't bash anyone for being picky about dog breed
because I was and I always will be. Yes, you should want a guide dog
primarily for more fluid travel. But keep in mind that whatever dog
you get, you must live and work with. If your like me, and you
absolutely don't want to end up with a labrador for any number of
years, or you love and adore a certain breed for specific qualities,
you have a right to be picky, go for what you want, and to not settle
for something less than what you want in a guide dog.
When I was applying to schools, one school said they couldn't
guarantee me a golden, but they could guarantee me a golden/lab cross.
I apologized for wasting their time and moved on. I wanted a golden,
and that's all I was settling for.
Of course, I have been very familiar with goldens and how they
work/interact. And I have always been impressed by them and wanted
their most notable qualities for myself in a dog. If you're going to
be selective about breed, you'd better know about that breed. Read up
on it; learn about their nature and what it takes to maintain,
interact, and work with that kind of dog in general.

On 8/4/14, Dan Weiner via nagdu <nagdu at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> All right, Dan is going to sound unpleasant here, but remember it's my
> opinion and no one else's.
> When I hear someone say they want a poodle because they don't want to worry
> about hair I ask myself do they really want a guide dog.
> Dogs need to be taken care of, they need brushing, obedience, play, taking
> out, and all that stuff.
> Unless you want a dog and feel the advantages will outweigh the
> disadvantages then you shouldn't have one.
> And I don't criticize you if you don't want a dog, but I have always felt
> that those who want this or that breed for reasons other than their style
> or
> work or if they like that breed, for example, maybe would do themselves a
> better turn not having a dog.
> Honestly telling a school that you will only have a certain breed limits
> the
> choice of dog, especially when it is a less used breed like a poodle...your
> goal with getting a guide dog should be to enhance your travel making it
> safer, more fun, more efficient and all that good stuff.
> In short, do you really want a dog, because dogs have doggie qualities that
> twill take work even if it's not a lab--smile.
> And by the way, I'm not annoyed at the poodle as such I think they are
> great
> dogs, just want you to examine your motivation.
>
> Dan the curmudgeon

Raven
"if God didn't make it, don't eat it." - John B. Symes, D.V.M.
http://dogtorj.com