[nagdu] Guide dogs and teacher observations

Diane vlasoff at roadrunner.com
Mon Aug 4 22:39:34 UTC 2014

Hi Danielle and Willa,

I am not a teacher but I have had experience interning with at our local
community college in the Assistive Technology Training Center.  Several of
our classes were with students having various degrees of cognitive
impairment.
On my first day my mentor instructor introduced me to each class.  I
explained what a guide dog was and why she was with me.  Then I explained
the expectations for the class as regards their interactions with a guide
dog.

For the most part the students did a great job of remembering the rules.
Some were very good advocates for my guide.  They helped other students
remember the rules.  Occasionally either I or my mentor instructor had to
remind a student but for the most part things went along smoothly.

Bettyjo, my guide, had a tie down in the back of the classroom out of the
way of the vast majority of the students.

Most of the faculty and staff we came into contact with were inquisitive
about Bettyjo. Once we got past the initial conversation about guide dogs
there was no issues.  I can say I felt guilty about the extra cleaning the
janitor felt compelled to do where Bettyjo lay, so I made a point to bring a
blanket for her to lie on and tried to keep her as clean as possible.

Best of luck!  Kids will surprise you every time.

Diane and Jaxi and retired guide Bettyjo