[nagdu] Guide dogs and teacher observations

Danielle Antoine singingmywayin at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 15:07:27 UTC 2014

Rebecca, is right. Danielle, what the difference between a SPED
classroom and a regular one?
I gotta tell ya. People make to much of a big deal about them
allergies! It's really not as big an issue as some with and without
allergies make it to be. I had a classmate severely allergic to
allergies and I did *not* find this out until the end of our class when
everyone wanted to pet Fagin except Carolyn. She then explained her
severe allergies to me and said that she always took Benadryl before
class and kept  a distance whenever possible for this reason. She also
stated that she was on medication regularly anyway and that she had
relatives with dogs and did the same when she went to there homes. My
grandmother did the same and neither of them suffered adversely due to
Fagin's presence. My daughter has the allergy-asthma-eczema comination
and while she can't take pets sleeping in a room with her, she can
tolerate them with the appropriate meds. Yes she does suffer but no
more than if they weren't there. cingulare and Flovent are her *best
friends*. That
was the burning question and the source of much tension when I went to
get my second guide. she ended up being a golden but I was smart
enough to test out my theory before even applying because I could've
waited for a boxer. I am smart enough to put the well-being of
especially my children first but I'm not gonna always deny myself
something that may cause others discomfort either and automatically
especially when *I know* the steps *they* can take to minimize
negative reactions. that said, I am also willing to do my part in
keeping my dog well-groomed, out of the way of others if they can not
tolerate direct contact, and my home clean as well. Somewhere along
the way children need to be taught to deal with there health so that
as adults they can advocate for themselves even if quietly. Oh, I
forgot to mention my daughter requires an EpiPen as well as she can go
into anaphylaxis due to an allergy to shellfish. the others are
environmental alergies. Her brothers have them as well and one of them
requires an EpiPen due to an allergy to medication. So, I said all
that to say don't worry to much and don't overreact. Be proactive!
Groom daily, vacuum often especially (even if you groom all that stuff
is left in your carpets and could be transferred back to your guide),
try to find out ahead of time if possible if there may be someone
affected and offer to keep your dog away from them. I like the crate
and tie-down. I had this experience in a student teaching position or
two and my own classroom. Fagin had no problems with a down-rest and I
think I used his leahsh to secure him to my desk. You will need aa
cable like the ones sold at school if you dog is prone to chewing or
*will not* remain. Eden is not that type.

I also have a fellow TSE graduate who has severe allergies herself and
she may be able to offer you more info and experiences if your
interested.

Good luck, God bless, and I hope you and Willa can come to a mutual
understanding about the arrangements.

Danielle and Eden, who prefers being the star of the show!
On 8/5/14, Danielle Burton via nagdu <nagdu at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> I'm thinking if I'm placed in a regular education classroom this semester
> I'll just take her but if I do any Special Ed I'll probably leave her for
> the first time so I can find out if any of the students will have any issues
> I think that will work out best. I'd like to get a portable mesh type crate
> for her a can't seem to find any. If anyone on here knows Where I can get
> one that would be great.
> Danielle and Willa
>

>> On Aug 5, 2014, at 9:15 AM, "Julie J." <julielj at neb.rr.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm getting that you are quite a bit concerned about this.  what if you
>> left your guide at home?  Or took a portable crate and left her in an
>> office away from the kids?  then you could get a feel for what's going on
>> and decide whether or not to bring her next time or how it could work.
>> Sometimes there just isn't enough information to make a decision in
>> advance.
>>
>> Julie
>>

>> -----Original Message----- From: Danielle Burton via nagdu
>> Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2014 8:07 AM
>> To: Tracy Carcione ; NAGDU Mailing List,the National Association of Guide
>> Dog Users
>> Subject: Re: [nagdu] Guide dogs and teacher observations
>>
>> Tracey, thank you for sharing your experience. While in a regular
>> education classroom a child that fears dogs can be easily handled I'm not
>> sure what to do in a special Ed classrooom with children with severe
>> disabilities. The presence of a dog could throw a child with autism off
>> for the entire day.
>>
>> Danielle and Willa
>>

>>> On Aug 5, 2014, at 8:57 AM, Tracy Carcione via nagdu <nagdu at nfbnet.org>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Danielle.
>>> I did teacher observations a long time ago.  I don't recall having any
>>> access problems, though some of the kids in the inner city school where
>>> was were scared of my dog.  They just kept their distance.
>>> I think, as in many things, confidence can make a difference.  If I walk
>>> in as if I have every right to be there and I don't expect any trouble,
>>> usually don't get any.  If I go in timid and appologetic, people might
>>> be
>>> more inclined to try and push me around.  Not that one has to be an
>>> arrogant so-and-so, but calm self-assurance goes a long way, in my
>>> experience.
>>> Good luck.  My teacher observations convinced me I wasn't cut out for
>>> the
>>> job.