[nagdu] German guide dog system

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 01:28:47 UTC 2014

Hi Lisa,

This is fascinating to know!  I was in Germany about 5 years ago, and
I was told by a few different people that Germans just didn't get
guide dogs.  Of course, I knew that some of them had to have guides,
but you helped me understand why many don't.  I was a German major as
an undergraduate, and I studied German for about 10 years, so your
post was particularly interesting to me.

Lisa, please correct me if I am wrong, but from what I remember, the
access laws are pretty similar to what they here.  You can have your
dog on public transportation and in any other type of public
establishment.  I remember though that our exchange program was with a
gymnasium (private high school), and they would *not* allow me to be
there with my dog.  I do want to go back to Germany someday and maybe
even take my dog this time!  :)