[nagdu] German guide dog system

Buddy Brannan buddy at brannan.name
Fri Aug 22 01:50:34 UTC 2014

Oh the irony. Being as how guide dogs originated in Germany, at least as we know them today, and at that time before the 2nd World War war-blinded vets with their guide dogs had similar access rights to public transport and so on, at least from what I read, that Germans “don’t get guide dogs” seems pretty ironic to me.

Of course, when I was there about 19 years ago, I saw exactly one blind couple, but I was also not in one of the cities, like Marburg, where a lot of the blind folks apparently hang out. But then, too, it seemed to me that the general public had a somewhat different attitude towards me than what I experience here. I can’t explain it exactly though.