[nagdu] Relieving in and out of harness WAS Re: Myguydog:introduction

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 05:42:04 UTC 2014

The Golden Guy has relieved himself about 4 or 5 times in harness.
Each time was my fault because we were new and I was unfamiliar with
his body language. The first time it happened was actually at guide
dog school. We were traveling in Manhattan. This spoiled guy only goes
on grass. I gave him opportunity to relieve in a parking lot, but that
wasn't to his liking. After walking several blocks in Manhattan, he
realized there was no grass to be found, so he just stopped and peed
on the sidewalk. Poor guy. I did not scold him at all. I really did
not know what else to do other than just let him do his thing.
The other times, he kept pulling over to the grass or bushes, and I
would just cue him forward, thinking he was distracted. Finally, he
just relieved himself since I would not remove his harness and cue him
to relieve.
Knowing the Golden Guy now, he needs some stimulation to poop unless
it is a troublesome tummy day, so I expect him to need to go on route,
and I allow time for that.

Dogs are not always vocal about needing to relieve themselves. In my
experience, it is common for dogs to just wonder around when they need
to go out. At school, they told us that if we can't get our dogs to
settle, chances are the dog needs to go out. They are definitely
right. Anything like seeing a dog walk in circles, pacing, walking
around the room, or lots of huffiness or turning about while trying to
settle are all signs a dog is uncomfortable and needs relieving. I
have seen dogs get vocal, but it was when they needed to urinate badly
or were experiencing intestinal distress. Some dogs will also become
vocal if they notice that their body language or visual signals are
not enough to get them out the door.

I have a girlfriend who allows her dog to relieve in harness just
because she doesn't want to take the time to remove it. I personally
would not do this, but if she finds that her dog does not think she is
free to go whenever, then so be it. She still pulls over to the grass
and cues her dog to do her thing, she just doesn't remove the harness.

On 8/22/14, Nicole Torcolini via nagdu <nagdu at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> For clarification, I was not talking about knowing that they are not
> supposed as much as having to. Even if the dog knows that he/she is not
> supposed to relieve in harness, if the dog really has to go, there is not
> much that the dog can do besides go. Yes, I do agree, though, that some
> dogs
> might not go when given the opportunity and then kind of set themselves up
> for trouble or just decide to go even though they don't really need to, in
> which case a correction would be appropriate. Hope that that made sense
> that
> time.
>
> Nicole

Raven
"if God didn't make it, don't eat it." - John B. Symes, D.V.M.
http://dogtorj.com