[nagdu] An Introduction

Valerie Gibson valandkayla at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 08:06:51 UTC 2014

Hi,

I respect your oppinion and if I could, I would love to be spotted by a sighted person who knows about guide dog training.  The only problem is finding a sighted person who can offer constructive critisisms without making it sound as if "well, I knew you couldn't do this all along".

As I've stated, it's hard to find a sighted trainer who's willing to give a blind owner trainer a shot.

With that being said, Zion's not at the stage where we're putting a lot of imphasis on street crossings.  The most we'll do is suburbean streets.  Again, as stated, I'll never put him in a situation where he'd fail because he's only 9 months.

Akitas reach physical and psychological maturation at the age of 2 and 3 respectively, so he might not work on street crossing until he's about a year or a year and a half.  It's just going to depend on him.  This might give me time to find a spotter.  Even if I had a sighted dog trainer tell me what he or she would be looking for in terms of walking and form, I could pass that onto a sighted friend and that friend could act as the go between...I hope that made sense.  However it seems to me that a lot of guide dog schools don't wish to divulge their training secrets, but maybe I'm mistaken.

In regards to the harnes I've got: I showed it to my friends and because they were trained with a different type of handle, they don't like mine, but tthey all say, "If it works for you, use it".  They admit that they like their harnesses better because it's what they are used to.  Zion and I have adapted our walking styles toone another rather than my finding a harness that adapts me to him.  Maybe it's not the right way to do things, but it's worked for us, and since I'm the only one who's trained him, I figured it doesn't really matter.
I do have a question for you guys who train your own dogs.

Zion does this thing where he  will technically walkforward, but he'll turn the front part of his body one way or the other to see  something in the distance.  It's harder to fix when he's turned in my direction and he's almost cutting in my path.  How do you guys handle this?  I don't know if it's just because he's a puppy and easily distracted, but sometimes he walks like a drunk dog. lol. Any thoughts on fixing this?

Thank you guys for reading this.