[nagdu] An Introduction

The Pawpower Pack pawpower4me at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 10:46:30 UTC 2014

Debby,
This is interesting.  I have trained people with disabilities and their service dogs.  Mostly, they train, with guidance from me, although I may take the dog from time to time to work out tough spots.  People have said that I was more aware than sighted trainers and that I gave very clear input, and caught on to issues quickly.
When I was finishing Soleil's training, 2 other owner trainers, whom I respect very much, were also finishing their dog's training. So we all met for a week, for a kind of training vacation and bootcamp.  I have gotten some of the best input, advice, and direction from blind trainers, and actually I will say their advice was better than I have received from a sighted trainer.  I was able to fix, and be aware of, a few key, but frustrating issues with Soleil.
I hope I have the opportunity to work with a blind trainer for my next dog.
We can not do the same things a sighted trainer does in the same ways, but it's all about thinking outside the box.

I have also done traffic training both with natural traffic and traffic from trusted drivers.  During this vacation bootcamp I was talking about above, we had 2 drivers, in 2 different cars at once putting the dogs through final traffic testing.  I am Deafblind, so this skill is extra necessary for me, to have a dog who is trafficwise.
 Rox and the kitchen Bitches:
Mill'E, Laveau, Soleil
Pawpower4me at gmail.com
Sent from my iPhone