[nagdu] New handler issues

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 08:30:06 UTC 2014

Clare,
First, understand that your dog is an adolescent. Please trust me when
I say doggy adolescence is incredibly similar to human adolescence. An
adolescent dog needs consistency, strict guidance, discipline, and
patience most of all. Adolescent dogs are stubborn, make wrong
decisions, and are very self-centered. One day, they will behave
perfectly and be obedient, and the next day, they will act like they
have no clue what you expect of them. Adolescent dogs are typically
impulsive, and sporadic in their behavior from day to day. This is the
time in a dog's life during which they fight to become pack leader or
higher up in the dog pack. In nature, they eventually submit to their
higher ups or they simply split off and create a pack of their own.
This is obviously not the case for all adolescent dogs. I have worked
with dogs and handlers who blew through adolescence with ease and
fluidity.
I can certainly help you. Any of us with experience particular to
adolescent dogs can. Because retriever breeds typically mature around
2 years of age, this adolescence phase is certainly not close to being
over with. And dealing with a hard-headed adolescent is not the same
as dealing with an adult dog that is just having an off day or is
consistently distracted in certain environments and situations.
Please tell us exactly what is the situation, what your dog is doing,
what you would rather your dog do, and what you are doing to change or
address his behavior. You are trying everything you know, but there
are things beyond your knowledge and experience that will certainly
help the situation. Tell us as much as you can so that we can provide
you with guidance and help you establish a plan for dealing with your
sweet boy.

On 8/24/14, debby phillips via nagdu <nagdu at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> Hi there, well, first of all, you have a very young dog, if I
> remember correctly.  Second, I hear you! I get frustrated at
> times too.  Sometimes I just have to back away, and put my dog in
> her crate-not as punishment, but because I'm the one who's
> overwhelmed.  All I can suggest is: do obedience with her every
> day, use the Gentle Leader when he's working, and perhaps even
> keep him on leash with you for a little longer time.  Sometimes I
> just put Neena on leash because I need to get some control again.
> Debby and Neena

Raven
"if God didn't make it, don't eat it." - John B. Symes, D.V.M.
http://dogtorj.com