[nagdu] German guide dog system

Lisa dreamymarmot93 at yahoo.de
Mon Aug 25 13:11:23 UTC 2014

Hello everyone!

I'm glad so many of you appreciated my explanation about German guide dogs.
:-) I love to learn things about different cultures, too, and it's great to
read so much about guide dogs in the US on here so I can understand that.

Julie, you're completely right. Access rights for guide dogs here in Germany
are quite advanced I'd say. So you can take your dog on any train, bus or
other public transport vehicle without problems. Normally, they're also
allowed in any supermarket, restaurant or such. But of course, there are the
owners of different shops who try to avoid that. Then they say since it's
their property, a public law doesn't matter and you should leave with your
dog. But luckily, this doesn't happen very often and so you pretty much have
the choice to then go to another shop or café where the people are more
open-minded.

The thing that Germans don't get guide dogs isn't true, as you already
pointed out. But I'm really of the impression, that it is, indeed, alot
harder to get one here than in other countries. But as I said, this is only
a matter of health insurance companies. So I feel so blessed that I'm
through with this fight now. I'm counting down the days until Taylor comes.
14 by now. :)