[nagdu] An update on the owner training situation

Amber M thetraveler87 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 12:22:29 UTC 2014

Hi all,
I am sorry I have not written recently, but there has been a lot going on. I worked 82 hours last week, and since I wrote last, have met with both a trainer and a breeder. The breeder that I'm met with happened to have three puppies that she thought might be good for the task. She brought them and I met with them, and picked one that I really liked. She has allowed me to keep her for a couple of weeks to see how things go.
I have a few questions.
One-when you are taking a puppy that is only three months old out to do business, how can you keep them from eating sticks and mulch that might be bad for them and still let them do what they have to do? I have multiple times taken her out to do business and found her with a stick in her mouth. I know that she is going to need to chew on things. I can't keep her away from it, because these are scattered around the grass where I live. It is not that I am deliberately taking her near a place where that is easy to get to.
Two-when I am not able to be with her, I have been putting her in her crate. I have made it clear that this is not a punishment. I never yell, never push her roughly, or do anything that I think would make it a bad experience. She has eaten in there several times, and I am doing this to reinforce that being in her crate actually equals a good thing. But my question has to do with her whining. I have tried clicking in treating for quiet, and then walking a little further away, or staying the same distance away, but letting the time be a little longer, but ultimately, I do not have the time to sit there for a long extended period, and she can't stay focused on the clicker for that amount of time anyway. So I am just wondering if I am wrong for having to let her wine a little sometimes because I have to go to the restroom or because I have to cook dinner or because I have to actually do the dishes etc.?
Thanks,
Amber

Sent from my iPhone