[nagdu] For Amber, an update on the owner trainer situation

Candy Berg candyberg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 26 20:23:19 UTC 2014

Dear Amber,

Reading that your pup is a poodle, I wanted to share something we did with
our pet poodle when he first came to us. He was comfortable in his crate,
and we had no problem with him going in to sleep there, however if we put
him in there prior to our leaving the house, he would whine and cry. He was
thirteen weeks old when we got him, and he had been raised with other
poodles and lots of attention and affection from his breeder. Nothing anyone
suggested to us worked. Finally, I made a recording of me reading out loud
in a soothing and calming voice, and we would start the tape for him
whenever we put him in his crate and we were heading out. It worked like a
charm, we would come back and he would be sleeping, we kept using the tape
for maybe two weeks and then dropped it, and we never had a problem again.
He was a very affectionate and smart little guy who formed very strong bonds
with humans and also with other dogs throughout his life, and I think the
transition from how he had been raised to being left alone in his crate in
our house was a bit much for him to handle all at once.

Hope this helps, and the very best of luck with your wonderful pup.

Candy (email candyberg at sbcglobal.net