[nagdu] Pilot achievement walk

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Wed Aug 27 13:01:40 UTC 2014

There is a fairly well-known story about Morris Frank, one of the founders
of The Seeing Eye.  While training with his first dog, at a time when guide
dogs were not at all well-known, he was taking a break, hanging out at the
training house.  He noticed that he needed a haircut and remarked to the
training director that perhaps someone could take him to the barber.  The
director responded that, now he had a dog, he could go to the barber by
himself.  It was a revelation to him, that he could get directions, grab his
dog, and go where he wanted, when he wanted. He knew it intellectually, but
the practical demonstration made it real.
I think an achievement walk could be a similar revelation to first-time dog
users.
Even after 34 years of using a dog, it still is a joy to me to get
directions, harness up the dog, and go off on my own some place.
Tracy