[nagdu] Food puzzle

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 08:55:58 UTC 2014

Debby,
Food puzzles are great for mental stimulation, whether a dog has
worked a long day or not. And it depends on what your dog does when
you say working all day. For quite a few of us in college, working our
dogs constitutes lying or sleeping long hours under a desk depending
on schedule, so the food puzzle is a great solution for those of us
who are mentally exhausted at the end of the day, but still want to
provide entertainment for our 4-legged partners.
If it's a matter of making a dog play with one, well, I don't think
that's possible. If the dog is not enthusiastic about it, then they
just aren't. It's just a pastime, so it's okay to cast aside or just
not buy them.
Food puzzles are also a great way to slow dogs down who practically
inhale their food. Perhaps you don't have this issue with your girl,
but many labradors definitely seem to eat as if they have not been fed
all their lives, or as though they will never be fed again. Eating too
fast can result in vomiting and/or tummy trouble, so it's definitely
important to reign it in.

On 8/29/14, debby phillips via nagdu <nagdu at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> No way would I make my dog go through all that after they'd
> worked all day.  That's for some other time, like it's a cold,
> blizzardy day, and nobody's going outside, and your dog needs
> entertaining.  Then, maybe.  I'd probably do something more
> hands-on like Tug or something.    Debby and Miss Neena

Raven
"if God didn't make it, don't eat it." - John B. Symes, D.V.M.
http://dogtorj.com