[nagdu] guide dogs in hotels

Marsha Drenth marsha.drenth at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 21:38:16 UTC 2014

Jack,
Your request of the hotel is completely valid for you. I too have balance  difficulties and am deafblind, again if I were staying in a hotel, and needed the accessible room, it would be on the first floor.
I think what the others on this list are saying is that, if you stay at a hotel, tell the hotel ahead of time that you have a guide, that you need the accessible room because of this and that. Then the next time that hotel, has a person who is blind, who uses a guide make a reservation, the person on the phone might ask, if that person has a guide dog. Because you know if one blind person has a guide dog, they all must have guides. Further, if you tell the hotel about your guide, then some hotels will expect that then every blind persons with a guide will notify them of this. Further, if you tell the hotel that you want the accessible room, because of physical  difficulties and your guide dog. then that hotel will give the accessible room to every blind person after that, regardless of physical issues or not. Unfortunately the public tends to generalize us, if all blind people wear sun glasses to block our horrible looking eyes, they all must wear glasses. And then when  a sighted person sees a blind person who does not wear glasses it confuses them. When making a hotel reservation, you could just ask for the accessible room because of your physical issues, and say nothing about the guide. Because I am sure that if and when you make the reservation your on the phone with the hotel, you mention that you would like to reserve the accessible room because of your physical needs and that you have a guide dog. People won't hear that you said, anything about the physical needs, they will only hear that you have a guide dog.
Most of the people on this list, do not have physical difficulties, most are blind, which btw those of you out there, who are ready to yell at me, there is nothing wrong with that. I am just explaining why, blind people would not want to tell a hotel of their guide dog.
If we tell a hotel, that we are blind and have a guide dog, sometimes hotels can conjour up all kinds of things if we tell them ahead of time. We could get there, and they refuse us the room, say that the guide can't be there, and so on, why would we want to make trouble for ourselves ahead of time. Yes we are into 2014, almost 2015, but blind people still have access issues, are denied all the time, or given separate benefits to this day despite if we have guide dogs or not.
yes hotels have to go by the laws, but many many times, hotels, business, cabs, say they are following the laws, but its a law they have made up, a law they think only applys to blind people or to people who are disabiled, or to anyone who is different.
I think that is why everyone on list is saying that they do not notify the hotel ahead of time, to prevent any trouble, to prevent that precedence. to ensure that hotels, business and companies follow the law. Or atleast this is one reason. I also would like to say that its a personal preference.

Hope that helps explain it better,

Marsha drenth
email: marsha.drenth at gmail.com
Sent with my IPhone
Please note that this email communication has been sent using my iPhone. As such, I may have used dictation and had made attempts to mitigate errors. Please do not be hesitant to ask for clarification as necessary.