[nagdu] Offset harness handles

Karyn & Thane bcpaws4me at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 14:39:37 UTC 2014

I have not found anyone that makes acceptable guide dog handles. When you
add offset to the mix, unfortunately that seems to bring the options down to
one unless you work with LDS (and like you I WONT after how I was treated in
email communication and friends that had horrible customer service with gear
purchased from them).
I have made mine from cpvc. Its not ideal as they can break but when using
cpvc cement they seem to hold up better for us. I carry a spare in my
backpack just in case though. I have not needed the spare more than a few
times in Thane's career though (been working abt 6 1/2 yrs now). One thing I
do like about working with the cpvc once I got my layout right is that I can
choose the offset amount. Most offset handles are only as much as an
ambulatory person would need which for us would still result in crowding and
the possibility of interference in gait with the wheels on my chair.
Im not sure how we will handle the BLD more flexible handles, but there are
adequate D rings on the harness if we still need our rigid offset one. I
just wish I could find someone who makes rigid offset handles that look more
like guide equipment than plumbing grin
I think Mardi has made some from metal so maybe she will chime in as well
here.

Karyn and Thane