[nagdu] Offset harness handles

Ann Edie annedie at nycap.rr.com
Sun Dec 14 12:17:43 UTC 2014

Hi, Karyn,

Have you ever tried American Leather Specialties, Dave Shabbot? He made
Panda's harness back over a decade ago, (we are still using it exclusively),
and he made harnesses for many of the guide dog training programs, including
TSE and GDB. At the time, I don't think he was on the web, but he had a
toll-free number. He was great to work with, absolutely wonderful quality,
and very careful, attentive, and fast service. He even made an extra girth
strap for Panda's harness which was a bit longer than the one she needed at
the time, since Panda wasn't finished growing at the time and might need a
longer one later. He was located in Massachusetts. If you can't find him on
the web, you might try a toll-free phone directory. He made an ergonomic
handle for us, and I know he made the offset handles as well. He worked with
the guide dog schools on the designs of their harnesses, and he can custom
make pretty much whatever you want in a harness, leash, etc.

I haven't had any need for repairs or replacement of our harness since it
was made, although I should get a new leash, since the one Panda has was
chewed on many years ago by another horse, not by Panda.  So I don't know if
Dave is still making harnesses. I would be curious to know if anyone tries
to find him, and if so, what your experience is.

Best,
Ann