[nagdu] dog needs a home

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Tue Dec 16 14:25:36 UTC 2014

Hello all!

Yesterday I became aware of an owner trained guide dog who needs a new home.  The current owner is in a large transition phase in his life and doesn’t have the time or mental energy to devote to the dog.  The dog was fully trained, but then didn’t work much for a year. He currently has some very basic guide skills, but will need brush up training.

I’ve announced this opportunity to the owner trainers list and have a couple of inquiries to follow up on from there, but wanted to reach a bigger audience.   I would be willing to offer phone and email support  to anyone interested in taking this dog.  I would also be willing to offer in person assistance for a reasonable fee.  I do not want to train the dog, but would assist anyone with them training the dog.

The dog is a male, lab and German Shepherd mix and will be 4 in January.  He’s a big boy at 26 or 27 at the shoulder, and 80 to 90 pounds.   He’s been neutered and is in good health.  He is black and has a medium length coat.

He is very sweet, affectionate, curious, and fairly high energy.  His energy level could simply be a product of not working much in the past year.  He may very well calm down and settle in nicely, given a good amount of work and exercise.  He gets along well with other dogs and people.  He is somewhat people distracted and mildly dog distracted.  Neither of these issues are severe.  He is not aggressive at all.  I have not observed any signs of anxiety, stress or reluctance to work.

It would be great if he could go to a home where he would be worked as a guide or other type of service dog, but any home that will be able to give him something to do and ample exercise would be great.  Please share as widely as appropriate.  If you need more information, please email me at: julielj at neb.rr.com

There is no cost for the dog and I may be able to arrange transportation, depending on your location.

Thanks!
Julie