[nagdu] Picking up things from the ground

Nicole Torcolini ntorcolini at wavecable.com
Mon Dec 22 18:18:09 UTC 2014

I know that I am rather late to this thread, but I still want to through in
my two cents. How often are you walking him on a long leash, and what are
you doing? I almost never walked Lexia on a long leash for an extended
period of time. Upon coming home from training, I transitioned her to
relieving on a short leash. Most of the time, when she was relieving, I
would have my hand on her, especially if it was an area where there was a
lot to smell. If she did not start thinking about doing her business in
about two minutes and was just running her nose, then we moved on. Also, I
did not relieve and play in the same area. If you can play in one area and
relieve in another, this may help as he may learn that excessive sniffing is
not allowed in a particular area. Yes, dogs need to sniff some to do their
business, but they don't need to do what I call the "Hoover sniff".
As others have mentioned, you may want to try a head collar. Also, the
you-were-not-good-fun-is-over technique seemed to work for me.
Using a muzzle is not a bad idea. You probably would not want it while he
was working because of what people would think, but, when alone, it would
help. There are several different types, and they are not as bad as people
make them out to be. One of my sighted friends had to put a muzzle on her
pet dog when she took him out for walks because he would eat plants. One
day, he ate a plant that had fertilizer on it...

Nicole