[nagdu] Feeding on the go?

Nicole Torcolini ntorcolini at wavecable.com
Mon Dec 22 18:27:01 UTC 2014

This is an interesting topic, and the following are my opinions on it.
First, every dog is different. Second, there is when dogs actually need to
eat and when dogs think that they need to eat, but it is really just that
they want to eat. Dogs may need to eat at a certain time for a couple of
different reasons. The one that comes to mind for me is when a dog has the
problem that he/she will vomit bile if there is not any food in the stomach.
Lexia had this problem, and, if pushed to long between meals, she became a
ticking time bomb. I always carried some extra treats. I would sometimes
give Lexia a snack, but I did not usually give an entire meal early.
Some dogs think that they need to eat, but they actually just want to, and
they start acting crazy. JMHO, this is not acceptable behavior. Lexia has
eaten as early as 5 or 4:30 and as late as 7 or even 8. Of course, I gave
her snacks as appropriate, but she never got meals by asking for them. She
would sometimes sit and stare when she wanted to eat, but this did not buy
her anything as she just got sent back to her blanket.
I used to use the canvas bowls. Yes, I know all about the move the bowl
around game. I started using the rubber collapsible bowls, though, because
the canvas ones do not wipe out well, and, once you get grease in them, they
never really come clean.

Nicole