[nagdu] another dog relieving issue

Becky Frankeberger b.butterfly at comcast.net
Mon Dec 22 20:37:50 UTC 2014

Well John of course you are taking her out at least four five times a day. Some dogs will hold number two for a couple of days until the dog feel relaxed and safe with you. Pilot told us a long time ago, to put like a tea spoon of oil on the food. Take her somewhere to relieve where there aren't a lot of distractions, like by a garage, or shed. Walk her up and down your driveway to get things moving. Or find a safe place in your home to play to stimulate her to go number two. So you have many things to try at your home. Teach her to take you to the mailbox and back to the door you wish to come in. Do obedience with her in your home and when she is good with one command, take her to the front porch and do obedience. When she is good at obeying one command, meaning you say sit and she obeys with only one command for that skill. Tell her down, and she obeys with one command for that skill. Don't yell as Pilot already  told you. But use a serious voice.

Do you have transit or par transit in your area to take you to the center for the blind, for example? Does the Center for the Blind have a van that could pick you up for social times. Could you hire a neighbor kid to walk you down your country road? Teach them how to keep you safe, to warn you if you are getting to close to the center of the road. You tell them which side of the road you were trained to walk on. Back in 2000 we walked on the right side of the road. Then if we got to close to the center, we told the dogs to halt, turn to the right and walk to the side of the road. When we felt the edge with our feet we lined up and got our dogs moving forward.  Or can someone drop you and your helper on say a grocery run, in town and you and your friend walk on the sidewalks. You teach your friend to walk behind you and to the right.  Or go with the parent type to the grocery. It is work for your girl, smile. I think they still teach the dogs to follow. Ask the parent type to tell you when you are turning left or right so you can tell your dog.

Remember my information is old, so you do as Pilot taught you. The more you practice the more reliable your dog will be keeping you safe, even with no sense of direction. But you must practice or she will get lazy.

Becky and Jake