[nagdu] another dog relieving issue

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Tue Dec 23 12:45:56 UTC 2014

I think a schedule, a reasonable short leash and patience are your friend
here.  With a new dog or any dog in a new environment, I give a lot of
relieving opportunities, like 8 or even 10 per day.  I'd rather waste time
outside with a dog who doesn't need to go, than clean up messes on the
floor.  The numerous relieving opportunities also help me to learn the dog's
natural schedule.  Then I can cut out the breaks that we don't need and keep
the times when the dog really does need to go.

I think a leash is a must with a new dog.  What people mean by a short leash
varies widely.  Seeing Eye uses and incredibly short leash and other
programs use longer leashes.  I think something no longer than five feet is
probably your best bet.  When the dog stops, I like to be able to take no
more than two steps to get to the dog and be able to touch him to see what's
going on.  Eventually I get to know the dogs routines, signals and habits
and will usually know what's going on without touching the dog.

The first few weeks require patience.  It's a big change for both of you.
Keep your expectations and routine consistent, apply lots of patience and
I'd say that will clear up the vast majority of new dog issues.

Julie
Courage to Dare: A Blind Woman's Quest to Train her Own Guide Dog is now
available! Get the book here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QXZSMOC
Visit my new website on developing courage and living authentically:
http://www.falling-up.com