[nagdu] ear problems

Jenine Stanley jeninems at wowway.com
Sun Dec 28 16:48:14 UTC 2014

Hi Danielle,

A couple things about ear issues to consider.

first off, give us a call to talk to one of our Canine Care folks for some good suggestions based on your dog’s history.

I’ve found with my dogs over the years that it’s not just the dog food but the treats as well that can cause allergic reactions, if that’s in fact what it is. Example: Swap is on a grain-free food and someone gave us a Milkbone biscuit the other day. I gave it to him and the next day he had the lip crud he gets with grain-based dog food. Check all treats and other things your dog gets.

This just recently happened to us as well. We’d been buying baby carrots in the little plastic bags and giving them to both dogs. Both dogs were having loose stools and very bad gas. We started eliminating things from their diet and hoped it wasn’t the new formulation of Dasoquin. It wasn’t. Was the carrots. they apparently had some type of vegetable soap on them that was safe to eat but caused a big reaction in both of our dogs. I have tried washing the carrots but the soap apparently permeates them so no more carrots of that type. We’re back to fresh green beans for treats.

Another thing to consider is that not all ear washes work equally. Some work better for some dogs on one type of crud and sometimes you have to try several different kinds before you find the one that works on the type of crud inside your dog’s ears. I’d go back to the vet if it was my dog and have them take cultures and analyze what the stuff is in there. It may take a stronger or longer course of antibiotic to beat the thing. then again, it might be a fungus or yeats which takes a whole different treatment approach.

Good luck and please know that GDF is always there to help in these situations.
Jenine Stanley
jeninems at wowway.com

http://www.twitter.com/jeninems