[nagdu] They know the dog is working?

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Mon Dec 29 18:25:51 UTC 2014

I think this is really like any other situation in life where we need to set
and enforce personal boundaries.  Call it your bubble space, or rudeness or
criminal interference with your service dog, it really comes down to
expecting to be treated respectfully and being prepared to do something
about it if you are disrespected.

There are lots of different ways to deal with it, some have already been
mentioned.  I think you have to experiment and find what works for you.  I
also think you need to have a plan to deal with a situation that crosses the
line, whatever your personal line is.

I do allow some petting in very specific situations.  First the person has
to ask. I choose when my dogs will be petted.  Then I give the dog the cue
that gives them permission to approach the other person if they so choose.
Monty usually gives the person a cursory sniff and then moves away.  Jetta
is too new to be given the opportunity to interact, but it doesn't matter
because strangers never asks to pet her.

If a person pets or interacts without asking or my permission, I will move
away if that is possible.  If I can't then I place my hand over my dog's
head and gently pull them toward me and away from the other person.  I say
nothing to the other person and very quietly praise the dog for good
behavior.

Maybe I give the other person the look of death or something or perhaps it's
my body language, I don't exactly know, but it's pretty rare that a stranger
asks to pet Monty and no one has asked to pet Jetta.   I can't remember
anyone persisting in petting after I've told them no or moved the dog away.

Julie
Courage to Dare: A Blind Woman's Quest to Train her Own Guide Dog is now
available! Get the book here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QXZSMOC
Visit my new website on developing courage and living authentically:
http://www.falling-up.com