[nagdu] They know the dog is working?

Danielle Sykora dsykora29 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 01:01:08 UTC 2014

I generally find it extremely irritating when people tell me how
difficult it is for them to restrain from petting my dog. I also think
it is very disrespectful for people to act as if I am cruel for not
allowing interactions, particularly when they do not seem to
understand that he is not a therapy dog.

I tend to respond to people's treatment of the dog with the same
attitude they present. If they ask politely if they can pet him, I
will politely tell them no and give a short explanation. If they walk
right up to my dog and pet him without saying a word to me or pet him
after I said not to, I am not going to be extremely kind about it. I
find that many people seem to think it is OK to talk to my dog even
after I tell them not to pet him. In these situations, I usually
redirect my dog's attention and move away or stand between my dog and
the person. My dog is generally not too excited by people talking to
him but wags his tail and looks at someone extending their hand toward
him to pet.

Many people assume that if my dog is out of harness or not actively
guiding, he Is not working. This leads people to come to the
conclusion that these are perfect times to pet. Because my dog
leash-guides, I would rather keep petting to a minimum to avoid
confusion.

Danielle and Thai