[nagdu] Leash guiding WAS: re3 ,Age of Qualifying Guide Dogs

Jenine Stanley jeninems at wowway.com
Fri Feb 21 16:26:50 UTC 2014

To my knowledge, Guide Dog Foundation is the only school to formally teach leash guiding. We do so with many caveats.

1. Leash guiding should only be used in familiar, preferable indoor areas or in extreme emergencies such as a harness breaking.

2. Leash guiding should never be used to cross streets on a regular basis because when doing it correctly and efficiently, you are much closer to the dog’s shoulders, giving it less stopping time/distance.

3. There are right and wrong ways to safely use leash guiding and if your dog wasn’t trained to do it, the process can cause more problems than it helps. Yes, many of you do use the leash to work your dogs and no one here is dead yet but is it the safest, most efficient way to work the dog?

4. Leash guiding should never be used or at least should be used in conjunction with a harness being worn, when entering businesses, moving about a hotel or other public place. We say this because the public has a difficult enough time trying to tell what a real service animal is without the confusion of a dog simply on leash working. Yes, it’s perfectly legal and all that but sometimes just because a thing is so doesn’t make it right or easy. :)

For me coming to GDf from Pilot Dogs, learning to work my dog using only the leash was the hardest part of class beyond the different harness feel. When done the way we teach it, you can leash guide through Manhattan crowds, not recommended but doable, without hitting anyone.
Jenine Stanley
jeninems at wowway.com

http://www.twitter.com/jeninems