[nagdu] Leash guiding WAS: re3 ,Age of Qualifying Guide Dogs

Nicole Torcolini ntorcolini at wavecable.com
Sat Feb 22 02:23:48 UTC 2014

Not "on the clock"? For some dogs, that just does not exist. Okay, maybe it
does when they are laying  down at home or something, but, if it is just you
and your dog and your dog is on leash, some dogs never stop working, even if
you try to tell them that they can. I think that the
understand...well...something. That you are blind? I don't know. Maybe. But
I am 99% certain that Lexia knows something. Either that or she just loves
doing her job.
I went to GDB, so I was never formally taught leash leading. A while back, I
started noticing Lexia moving in the general direction that we were going
when I was heeling her, so I started following, but more for directions than
for obstacle avoidance. Once I confirmed that she was actually doing
obstacle avoidance as well, I started actually following her movements more
closely and letting her do more of the driving. I don't have any formal
commands for it. I think that Lexia knows based on the way that I hold the
leash that I want her to leash guide. Also, I only really do it in one
place, so she knows that, if we are going on this route, she leash guides
me. I don't do it in public. I generally only do it in places that I would
go without my cane anyway.
She will also try to do it when I am heeling her if she feels that I am
making bad judgments. One time, I was in a hurry and in a familiar place and
Lexia was not walking fast enough, even with encouragement, so I dropped the
harness handle and heeled her. Lexia by no means considered herself off
duty, though. I got a little too close to an object on my right for Lexia's
liking, so she pulled sharply to the left, even though I was heeling her,
and she was correct.