[nagdu] Retiring a dog early

Jenine Stanley jeninems at wowway.com
Wed Feb 26 21:59:33 UTC 2014

Hi Jewel,

GDF has a group of people called our Extended Services Team who help with these kinds of situations. They’ve been there and had those feelings.

Personally, I’ve had a couple short time matches in my day and though it’s hard to “love” another dog at first, this does come in time and with the work you will do. Having someone to talk with helps too.

If you want to get in touch with one of our Extended Services folks, I know at least one is on this list, but send me an email at my work address, jenine at guidedog.org and I’ll get you set up.

The feelings of guilt, frustration, loss and fear are all things I’ve had with every dog’s retirement, not just the short timers. I have to keep reminding myself that they are feelings and are neither good nor bad, and let them pass through me. Then they open a way for the love and appreciation over a new dog. When I say appreciation, I mean for the dog’s work and personality.
Jenine Stanley
jeninems at wowway.com

http://www.twitter.com/jeninems