[nagdu] Retiring a dog early

Marsha Drenth marsha.drenth at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 21:08:49 UTC 2014

Jewel,
I am sorry to hear about your diffictulies with Faye. Its hard, and unfortunately we build bonds. We trust and love these dogs, but some times throught all of that, we realize that perhaps they were not meant to be guides. My first guide dog was exactly how you described. But after a year of struggling, I  should have sent her back. It was heart renching. In my case with my first guide I continued to work on the desicion because the school wanted me too and the pressure to succccee at the relationship. I did finally retire her after 3 years, but she was not meant to be a guide. She did not want to work, had no desire to do so. Retirig your dog or if the pup dies at any age, your going to go thru the grieving process. Give yourself time to heal. When the time is right to move on to another guide, you will know.
Keep us updated, and Goodluck!

Marsha drenth
Sent with my IPhone