[nagdu] Doggie excitement?

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Thu Feb 27 13:09:29 UTC 2014

My technique is to pivot 180 degrees, so I'm facing the opposite direction
from the excitement.  Then if possible I have the dog sit or hand target or
anything that gets his attention back on me.  If he's still to excited, I
walk away from the thing that is exciting the dog.  When the dog settles, I
try a sit or hand target or whatever to get their attention back on me.
Slowly we move toward the exciting person, but if at any time the dog gets
too bouncy, I stop or perhaps back up.  the dog learns that to get what I
want I must keep composed.

I can tell when Monty sees someone he knows, he gets a prance to his step
and is more determined in his pull.  He's not unsafe or anywhere out of
control, so I'm content with it.  I actually kind of like knowing there is
someone I know approaching.

Now excitement over other dogs...that was insane!  It took a long while to
work through that issue!

Julie