[nagdu] Pull in the harness?

Shanna Stichler slstich at gmail.com
Fri Feb 28 09:31:15 UTC 2014

I'm coming out of lurker-land here, but some people don't feel a lighter
pull as wel, which is one major reason. Another is that, with a lot of
schools, a dog with a firm lead tends to have a brisk pace. While this
isn't always the case, I've seen the correlation more often than not.

Then too, some dogs naturally have a harder pull than others. It can be
moderated with training and maturity in the dog, but even then it
sometimes comes out when the dog is eager or excited about something.

My current dog (owner-trained,)  started out with an incredibly firm
lead, and she thought we should sprint everywhere. Obviously, as a
finished guide, her lead is now much lighter---ranging from moderate to
barely noticeable.

Best,
Shanna
On 2/28/2014 1:01 AM, Raven Tolliver wrote:
> Hi,
> In all the chat about guide dogs, especially people getting new ones,
> the subject of pull comes up. Some people need a light pull in the
> harness and others need a heavy pull.
> I paid attention -- to this while I was walking with the Golden Guy,
> and there is generally no pull, or only a very light pull in the
> harness.
> Why are different levels of pull in the harness necessary?
> Thanks.
> --
> Raven

All best,