[nagdu] Teeth-cleaning

Becky Frankeberger b.butterfly at comcast.net
Mon Jul 7 16:38:09 UTC 2014

I rarely clean my dog's teeth, but when I do, I run my nail over the teeth
and scrape off anything that isn't smooth. Then I brush there teeth with a
wet rag, preferably terrycloth.

Had my first dog's cleaned once, then learned this technique. Jake is nine
and a half, the vet is amazed how white his teeth are. Now truly other then
a very bad oder, you can't generally tell if the dog has deeper problems
then just dirty plaquing on the teeth. So that might be what is going on.
Not so much the teeth are dirty, he suspects something else that should
appear to your nose as well. It is beyond doggie breath, kind of a bitter
smell.  Perhaps infection in the gum or a bad tooth that needs pulled. Vets
aren't good communicaters, so they talk in general. Perhaps that bad smell
is why you brush the dog's teeth evry day, Becky shrugs shoulders.

With that first teeth cleaning, neither he nor I knew Baylor had a broken
tooth. He wore a cone for a week or so. I think I soked his food, probably
pain pills that was eighteen years ago, so don't remember exactly.

So sniff for the bad oder kind of bitter all penetratingly bad smell. Then
call back or go back for a quick consult to see what he suspects.

The vet's office will do a blood test to see if the dog can handle
anastetics. This is a safe way to go. Baylor had to stay overnight. The
longest night of my life. Then he got picked up by me, got the meds and off
we went home. I  don't remember him being sleepy except when I gave him the
pill. Otherwise he was just as happy as he could be, smile.

Becky and the happy pup Jake