[nagdu] Fwd: Starting with clicker training?

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Wed Jul 9 04:27:29 UTC 2014

Interesting. Guess she missed the memo about labs and food? Just kidding!

I phase out the treats first, giving them Las Vegas style -- so the
treat for every random number of clicks. That's worked well with Mitzi.
I also tend to use praise and treats, clicks and praise, just praise,
whatever. I was more precise and consistent during training and into her
early working life, of course. I didn't start with the clicker, but was
using the same principles with praise and treats. So then when I finally
broke down and got a clicker and realized how much more precise it is, I
loved it but was still in the habit of praising. Mitzi also loves having
a party and will do her happy dance, which was fun when she was learning
a ton new all the time. Now it's all old hat, so sometimes I remember to
throw a small party just for fun when she does something we haven't done
for awhile. I'm not sure she really needs as much cheerleading as I give
her at times, but she does need some to keep her happy.

My husband's mutt is food motivated but as she's started to grow up, I
find she will prefer other rewards -- the praise, the click, a sniff
when she's having good leash manners, etc. Sometimes, she's not
interested in the treat these days. That surprises me in her, although
Mitzi is certainly that way. So I guess you never know about dogs and
treats. /smile/

She's also less sensitive than Mitzi, so when she's excited, I find
myself getting a lot more physical with her just to get her attention.
Now that she is growing a brain (we think), she's getting to be a light
touch and respond to voice command more and more. She's even able to
self-manage her excitement on walks, so she gets many chances to sniff,
which is way better than treats. /grin/

The important thing, I think, is to know your dog and what works best.
With a guide, I find leash corrections inconvenient somehow, so I
focused a lot on training Mitzi without them and to learn to handle her
without them, even her stubborn streak. I plan to do the same with my
next, which I will have in puppy form in a couple of days. We'll see if
I know what I'm doing, I guess. /lol/

Tami