[nagdu] I guess I will not be getting a dog

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Tue Jul 15 17:55:02 UTC 2014

Barb,

I'm sorry to hear that. Did they give specific reasons? Did the reasons
seem reasonable to you? Is it something you can either refute or
address? How do you feel about appealing and getting a dog from that
program after the denial? What do you think about appealing and getting
a dog from that program after the denial?

Those questions I asked myself when I was turned down by a program. I
decided I thought the reasons were not reasonable -- like that I could
read signs (I could not!) and so didn't need a guide dog. Since I had
provided all those records about my vision and since to my knowledge it
is not the job of a guide to read signs, I did not view this as a
reasonable reason! There was another one given that I considered equally
unreasonable, as well as a third that could have been taken more than
one way. I did call to see about clarification, but the reviewer did not
call me back. By that time it had occurred to me that while it was
pretty clear the interviewer and I did not hit it off (though we both
remained cordial throughout), the review board had signed off on the bit
about reading signs, so... I began looking into other programs and was
prepared to follow through on an application I had started before some
stuff came up, then got a puppy to owner-train. I had been thinking of
training a guide dog for years and really had a yen to do it anyway,
though I thought it made more sense to use a guide dog for awhile first
so I would know what I was training for. It was the insistence that I
demonstrate a full-strength two-handed leash correction with a firm
lecture that if they gave me a "strong" dog because they thought that
was best, then that was best no matter what I thought. I said I did not
want to go around the world that way, and I meant it. Anyway, it
occurred to me that I know how to train an animal to voice and subtle
hand and body signals, because that is how I like my animals to be and
how I like to be with them. I can be firm when I need to, and can get a
horse under control when strength and force are needed, but the notion
that force is a regular part of handling... I may have gotten a wrong
impression from her about that, although this was just before programs
started moving to more positive methods and working towards producing
softer dogs. Anyway, owner-training the first time out suddenly looked
like a more viable option to get what I wanted, although that is far
from the only reason I owner-trained.

Aren't there other programs by now that provide in-home training even to
first-timers? It seems I've heard of a few people getting that from one
or more programs, but I'm short on sleep and may be hallucinating
perfect solutions. /smile/

Keep us posted on what you decide to do and what happens.

Tami