[nagdu] (no subject)

Craig Heaps craig.heaps at comcast.net
Wed Jul 16 19:23:28 UTC 2014

Barb:

I can identify.  I am sixty years old.  I have been legally blind since I was 28.  For the first 15 years or so, I functioned without a cane or a dog.  I was in TV news and worked as an on-air reporter.  I covered fires, floods, earthquakes and just about everytihng else.  I worked really hard to hide my blindness.  I covered stories such as chiildren of war in Uganda, the aftermath of the war iin Bosnia, daily life in Cuba, and wildfires in Yellowstone National Park.

About fifteen years ago, I began using a white cane.  I noticed I had to do a lot less explaining to people when I bumped into them on BART trains.  In fact, as I told my wife, it's the best of all wordls.  I bump into them and they apoligize to me.  I had to work a lot less when I began using the cane.  I appreciated finding obstacles with my cane instead of my shins.

My wife was the one who pressed me to get a dog.  I said, "Give me your best argument for why I need a dog."  She said, "I walak behind you, and you don't realize how much you don't see."  She had witnessed my near-misses with people and objects every day.

I applied to GDB for a guide dog.  It took a year and a half.  I had to go get formal orienation and mobility training.  My adaptive and cane skills were all self-taught and remarkably inadequate.  But a year ago, Chase and I graduated as a team from Guide Dogs for the Blind.  Haivng a guide dog did not revolutionaize my life.  But he does make it easier.  We are not afraid to jump on a BART train and go to a Giants game in San Francisco by ourselves.  Chase guides me though the crowd and we travel about three times as fast as I ever did with or without a cane.  And a lot fewer collisions for which to apologize.  Chase loves going new places.  He flies on planes with me.  He's been on a ferry boat.

There's a trade off.  You have to feed, groom and relive a dog.  You have to be responsible for his/her welfare.  But in return you have a greater measure of safety and a constant companion.

For more  on my experience, you can check my blog
craigdogdays.blogspot.com

As I anticipated the start of my training, I wrote there about my apprehension.  Like you, I wasn't sure I was a good candidate for a guide dog.

Craig and Chase