[nagdu] Jumping out of Car

Kristen kskristen at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 22:57:57 UTC 2014

I think I may have posted about this before, but it is still
occurring. Corvette and I went to a grad retreat earlier this
week; the trainer was able to get him to jump out of the car
there a few times, but now, he is back to not budging. He becomes
one with the car floor and won't move unless I literally pick him
up and move him out. (75 lbs is a lot for me to pick up and
manually move when it's dead weight.)

He will only jump out on his own at home and at my school, but
everywhere else he resists. When he does jump out, I click, then
praise him like crazy. (He won't take treats on lead, which I
don't want to break.) I try to generalize him getting out of the
car by using the command "let's go" every time, but this hasn't
seemed to help at other places than my house and school. He is
better about getting up from under tables and leaving places with
the same cue, so he does know what it means.

Any suggestions on how I can get him to jump out willingly, no
matter where we are? I've also tried having him jump out several
times during obedience routines from our car in the driveway, and
of course, he will then, but not when we drive somewhere.

Thanks for any help!
--
Kristen