[nagdu] assisted living complex requesting documentation

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Tue Jul 22 16:15:56 UTC 2014

	Housing accommodation are governed by the Fair Housing Act under the joint jurisdiction of the Departments of Housing & Urban Development (HUD) and the Department of Justice (DOJ). Housing accommodation are required to make reasonable accommodation to allow residents to keep their service animals in their residents. Service animals are more broadly defined under the FHA; however, residents can be required to request an accommodation and demonstrate that the animal mitigates the effects of a disability. This can be done by the presentation of an I.D. card or by a letter from a treating health care professional, such as a physician or mental health professional. I have attached more information concerning this to this message.

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala

-----Original Message-----
From: nagdu [mailto:nagdu-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of starmy22--- via nagdu
Sent: Monday, July 21, 2014 11:38 PM
To: nagdu at nfbnet.org
Subject: [nagdu] assisted living complex requesting documentation

Hi my name is John Sanders.
I have a question: I live in aissted living apartment complex.
The apartment told me that they want documentation on the guide dog and where it came from.
Can apartment complexes request documentation on the dog, telling them where the dog came from and whatthe dog’s purpose is?
I hope to hear from you soon.
John Sanders
nagdu mailing list
nagdu at nfbnet.org
To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for nagdu:
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: Joint Statement of HUD and DOJ.pdf
Type: application/pdf
Size: 231079 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://nfbnet.org/pipermail/nagdu_nfbnet.org/attachments/20140722/45f9b174/attachment.pdf>

More information about the NAGDU mailing list