[nagdu] assisted living complex requesting documentation

Skewis, Brian@DCA Brian.Skewis at dca.ca.gov
Tue Jul 22 16:28:22 UTC 2014

Hi John,

Marion provided some very good information.  If you have further questions, I would recommend contacting the American's with Disabilities Act Information and Technical Assistance line.  I have called them with a few questions and had very positive experiences speaking to an ADA specialist.  Here is the language from their website (http://www.ada.gov/infoline.htm)

The Department of Justice operates a toll-free ADA Information Line to provide information and materials to the public about the requirements of the ADA.

ADA Specialists, who assist callers in understanding how the ADA applies to their situation, are available on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday from 9:30 a.m. until 5:30 p.m. (Eastern Time) and on Thursday from 12:30 p.m. until 5:30 p.m. (Eastern Time). Calls are confidential.

To get answers to technical questions, obtain general ADA information, order free ADA materials, or ask about filing a complaint, please call:
800-514-0301 (voice)
800-514-0383 (TTY)

I hope this helps,

Brian Skewis
Executive Officer
California State Board of Guide Dogs for the Blind
Office: 916-574-7825
Email: brian.skewis at dca.ca.gov 

-----Original Message-----
From: nagdu [mailto:nagdu-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Marion Gwizdala via nagdu
Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 9:16 AM
To: starmy22 at gmail.com; 'NAGDU Mailing List, the National Association of Guide Dog Users'
Subject: Re: [nagdu] assisted living complex requesting documentation

	Housing accommodation are governed by the Fair Housing Act under the joint jurisdiction of the Departments of Housing & Urban Development (HUD) and the Department of Justice (DOJ). Housing accommodation are required to make reasonable accommodation to allow residents to keep their service animals in their residents. Service animals are more broadly defined under the FHA; however, residents can be required to request an accommodation and demonstrate that the animal mitigates the effects of a disability. This can be done by the presentation of an I.D. card or by a letter from a treating health care professional, such as a physician or mental health professional. I have attached more information concerning this to this message.

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala

-----Original Message-----
From: nagdu [mailto:nagdu-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of starmy22--- via nagdu
Sent: Monday, July 21, 2014 11:38 PM
To: nagdu at nfbnet.org
Subject: [nagdu] assisted living complex requesting documentation

Hi my name is John Sanders.
I have a question: I live in aissted living apartment complex.
The apartment told me that they want documentation on the guide dog and where it came from.
Can apartment complexes request documentation on the dog, telling them where the dog came from and whatthe dog’s purpose is?
I hope to hear from you soon.
John Sanders
nagdu mailing list
nagdu at nfbnet.org
To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for nagdu:

More information about the NAGDU mailing list