[nagdu] Owner Trained Versus Guide Dog School Program in order to get a guide dog

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 04:03:34 UTC 2014

Helga,
Guide dogs from guide dog schools or programs are raised by
puppy-raisers matched and selected by the school, and then are trained
by instructors that work for a particular school. There have been some
instances of people picking their own dog from the source of their
choice and raising it themselves , then sending it to the school of
their choice for formal guide training.
Owner trained dogs are typically raised and trained by their owners.
Some owners choose their dog from a source and do all of the dog's
training themselves, while others will choose a dog and have it
privately trained by another person for most of the foundational and
guide training, just the foundational puppy-raising, or just the
formal guide training.
There are benefits and drawbacks to either choice.

--
Raven
"if God didn't make it, don't eat it." - John B. Symes, D.V.M.