[nagdu] Programs Requiring Use of a Head Collar One Time

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 04:51:10 UTC 2014

Well, the best approach is not to have class be the first time a dog
is introduced to that equipment. There should definitely be exposure
during formal guide training, just as there is with the booties. But
even if class is the first time a dog is exposed, that experience
should be made as positive as possible. It should also be ensured that
handlers know how to check whether equipment fits properly or not. At
the beginning of the intro session, my instructor made sure everyone's
dogs' halti fit properly. The Golden Guy's was actually too large, and
my instructor had to get a different one. Then we had a short intro
session during which we simply walked our dogs down a hallway, stopped
every few steps and rewarded them for good behavior, and redirected
them if they acted silly.
Furthermore, exposure to a head collar should happen more than once
during class. When I attended GEB, there were 2 or 3 designated
lessons with the halti in addition to the introduction session.

On 7/28/14, Nicole Torcolini via nagdu <nagdu at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> When I received Lexia from GDB about seven years ago, they gave us gentle
> leaders as part of the free equipment  and had one route on which we were
> required to use them. They told us how to put them on the dogs and how to
> work with them, but, although Lexia seemed fine at the time, something must
> have gone terribly wrong. The next time that I put the gentle leader on her
> because I thought that it would be helpful in a crowded environment, I
> ended
> up taking it off right away because Lexia would not budge a millimeter.
> Perhaps what they had recommended for the best tightness for the nose band
> was too tight; my mother said that Lexia had a mark on her nose from the
> time that she had worn the gentle leader in class. Anyway, I wonder if
> schools are doing more harm than good if they require people to use a head
> collar once during class because the dogs have not had time to get used to
> it.
>
> Nicole and Lexia

Raven
"if God didn't make it, don't eat it." - John B. Symes, D.V.M.
http://dogtorj.com