[nagdu] Programs Requiring Use of a Head Collar One Time

Nicole Torcolini ntorcolini at wavecable.com
Mon Jul 28 04:04:14 UTC 2014

When I received Lexia from GDB about seven years ago, they gave us gentle
leaders as part of the free equipment  and had one route on which we were
required to use them. They told us how to put them on the dogs and how to
work with them, but, although Lexia seemed fine at the time, something must
have gone terribly wrong. The next time that I put the gentle leader on her
because I thought that it would be helpful in a crowded environment, I ended
up taking it off right away because Lexia would not budge a millimeter.
Perhaps what they had recommended for the best tightness for the nose band
was too tight; my mother said that Lexia had a mark on her nose from the
time that she had worn the gentle leader in class. Anyway, I wonder if
schools are doing more harm than good if they require people to use a head
collar once during class because the dogs have not had time to get used to
it.

Nicole and Lexia