[nagdu] help finding appropriate harness requested

Diane vlasoff at roadrunner.com
Mon Jul 28 21:03:09 UTC 2014

I have been working with my fourth guide dog for about a month now.  I chose
to wait for a standard poodle from a school new to me.  I am extremely
pleased with all of her guide work.  As is typical at this school we were
given a new harness to use at home.  The small size harness we were sent
home with is inappropriately large for her.  In fact our trainer pointed out
that if I bored another hole in the girth strap the harness would fit Jaxi
better.  So, after flying home with this boat of a harness I bored another
notch into the girth strap and went about our merry way.

Since the suggested remedy did not address the fact that the harness was
inappropriately large through Jaxi's chest Jaxi chewed through the chest
strap during an evening out about a week ago.  Now her harness is duct taped
together.

I contacted the school about a week ago in an effort to obtain an
appropriate sized harness for Jaxi.  The only option was to try the training
harness as Jaxi's regular harness.  This harness arrived Free Matter a
couple of days ago without a handle attached nor any directions on how to
remove and replace the handle to the new harness.  But I regress.
Unfortunately this training harness is different from the one she wore
during our training and is not adjustable through her chest.  Unless I can
get a harness with either an adjustable chest strap or an extra small
harness Jaxi will simply chew through successive harnesses. (This does not
even address the fact that an inappropriately fit harness could impact our
guide work).

I am willing to purchase an appropriate harness for our use.  I previously
received my dogs through GDB and would have again had they had a poodle as
an option.  I do, however, prefer their Swiss style harness with the
removable ergonomic handle.  My effort to locate the company GDB purchases
their equipment through has been unfruitful to the present.  Does anyone
know either the company they use or a retailer from whom I could purchase
the same equipment without the GDB logo?  Failing that does anyone know of a
company from whom I could purchase an extra small harness similar to that
GDB uses?

Any assistance would be hugely appreciated!  Thank you in advance.