[nagdu] Teeth-cleaning

Karyn & Thane bcpaws4me at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 15:23:18 UTC 2014

If its just a little tartar I'd look into a couple other options you can
begin now and possibly prevent the need for teeth cleaning or at least
significantly delay its necessity--

1) Bully Sticks. These are awesome for cleaning a dogs teeth. These are not
to be confused with those edible toothbrushes that have nasty ingredients
I'd never give my dog as well as having a history of causing obstructions
and seizures in epileptics, but a natural product made from bull penis. It
may sound gross to us but its quite natural to your dog. They can make stool
a little loose in the beginning so go easy as you build up to them. I use
bullysticks.com and get the 6 inch wide ones for Thane but they have a bunch
of other kinds (some are quite smelly, others not so much)

2) Petz Life oral spray and gel work to help loosen up tartar. I prefer the
gel and that is what I brush Thane's teeth with EVERY DAY. It is more
expensive than toothpaste, but I buy a large bottle on Amazon and it lasts
me about 5-7 months for Thane (Border Collie) I have used this since he was
on antibiotics for 9 months due to Lyme Disease.

I would say that both of these options used together did wonders for Thane.
Petz life loosened the tartar and the bully sticks scrubbed it away.

I would not do a dental without anesthesia though. The vast majority of a
dogs tooth is unseen to us hidden under the gum. When you do anesthesia
free, the job is not nearly as complete as it needs to be. This is a really
good article by Christie Keith (used to run a list I am on) on anesthesia
free dentistry
http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/YOUR-WHOLE-PET-Biting-down-on-anesthesia-free-2560292.php

Karyn and Thane