[nagdu] [nagdu' new dog, sniffing, and scavenging

Daryl Marie crazymusician at shaw.ca
Wed Jul 30 13:41:26 UTC 2014

Raven,

Thank you for concisely putting into words what I have been trying to articulate.  While we may not always agree, I fully respect you and your decisions and experience.

I was very fortunate that Jenny was never in a kennel. She was with her puppy raisers, and then she was boarded with a family while she was doing guide dog training.  The scrounging was a habit she picked up in puppyhood and seemed to get out of during formal guide dog training, but pretty much the instant the trainer left us, she started it up. It's gotten loads better since we've been working on it (unfortunately most of our training is done on the fly because she won't dive for the food during planned training exercises); today she did get scroungy, so I had to tell her to leave it, took whatever it ws away, and told her to move on. She didn't, so told her no, sit. Once we were both calmer, on our merry way!

And yes, get to know your dog's posture. Jenny can be lightning quick to scrounge, but most times I can tell that she's going to do it before she does. I feel it and pull then slacken the harness handle as if to hold her back, tell her to move forward, and off we go. It seems to work for us, because she knows I will check if she's gotten a hold of something, and most of the time she has not gotten it at all or dropped it if she did get it.

Raven, I hear you about dog distractions! yesterday, Gizmo, the little dog downstairs at work, started barking at Jenny through the door. Unfortunately, jenny responded in kind. Once we got upstairs, I ate my lunch, and then we went down to do some training.  Since this is the first time we've had a dog-distraction session without a correction collar, I was curious to see what would happen. So gizmo started barking like crazy, Jenny got all tail-waggy and thrilled, and I said in a bright voice to come this way (or something similar). I had a treat in my hand, so when she did what I asked, I gave her the treat. Repeated this process several times in different scenarios (coming in from outside, or after a bit of time had passed), and each time she would rather receive treats and praise than get into a barking/distracted match with Gizmo.  The last go-round, she did it without the treats.

Now I just have to work with her on hubby-distraction!  Wish me luck!

Daryl