[nagdu] [nagdu' new dog, sniffing, and scavenging

Nicole Torcolini ntorcolini at wavecable.com
Thu Jul 31 02:37:51 UTC 2014

Hahaha, I like your analogy about dogs in the kennels being like kids in
college. I completely agree about the dogs picking up bad habits while
staying in the kennel. To date, I only know of one school that does "home to
harness" (if I remember correctly). I understand that it is hard for large
schools to do this, but a month or even just a week staying in a house
instead of the kennel before being given to someone would make all of the
difference. It might not be enough time to
Break some of the habits, but, JMHO, it would help significantly with some
of the relieving problems. When I got Lexia seven years ago, the dogs came
to us right out of the kennels (luckily, they got a bath first). For a
little while, when we would relieve them, the trainers would tell us
when/what our dogs were doing because they were not yet used to being
touched while relieving. Thus, I could not tell very well what Lexia was
doing. So Lexia would do number 2. And then what? She would do what Raven
mentioned, but I would not know it. By the time that one of the trainers saw
her and communicated to me what was happening, Lexia would have already
realized that she had been caught and stop. Consequently, since the
undesirable behavior had already stopped, I could not correct her. I do not
remember how we finally resolved it, if I actually caught her in time once
or if she just stopped. In any case, after I got home and got the whole
relieving routine down, I would avoid letting it happen again by making her
sit out of range while I cleaned up. GDB did use corrections more back then,
but they also drove home the fact that you cannot correct after the fact as
dogs live in the moment. They told us this for both positive and negative,
hence the clicker training.
For dog distractions, most of the time, I try to just keep moving,
especially if I have heard the dog, but Lexia has not reacted to it yet. If
I am walking sighted guide with someone, I might ask them to walk a little
faster or to move away from the other dog. I do not know if it is a dog that
she is after, but I have also learned to detect when the extra pep in
Lexia's step is trouble rather than good. If Lexia is distracted by a dog, I
generally do not stop and do obedience, especially if the dog sounds
particularly unfriendly and I am not sure whether or not the dog is on
leash. Pet dogs are allowed to come to work where I work. Luckily, most of
the people near me who bring their dogs to work know of me and Lexia and
will keep their dogs away and/or tell them to stop barking if they bark.

Nicole and Lexia